Pages

04 February 2016

meet Sandra...

The same day Djempson shared his testimony with me, I met with Sandra, an incredibly quiet, serious and intelligent woman whom I was anxious to learn more about.


By the time I'd spent the afternoon with both of them, I was almost floating with the ways He works.


This is GOOD.


Meet Sandra.


My mom and dad weren’t Christians and weren't married and didn’t live together, and when I was three, my father took me to live with him, and it was his sister who raised me in Cap-Haitien.

When I was 14, I was feeling restless and unhappy with the way my life was, and I wanted to do something different, to be something different, to have something different.  I had a friend who went to a church on Rue 12, and I got up with my brothers and sisters and went.  Everytime I went and heard more about the Lord, the more I realized that HE was what I was looking for.

My brothers and sisters and cousins quickly quit going, but one Sunday I went all by myself, and stood in front of the church and told them I wanted to become a follower of Jesus. In 2002 I was baptized in the church. 

When I was sleeping one night I had a vision that I was supposed to study medicine, and I still didn’t have any Christians in my life to help me pray and think about the vision.  I went and talked to an older godly woman in the church, and she told me about being, not studying, a different kind of medicine.  She took me under her wing and discipled me, and showed me instead how to PRAY for people.  How to truly be a woman of prayer, and how to go to people who were sick, spiritually and physically.  She said, “You’re not going to work with the kind of medicine you were thinking, the kind of medicine the world knows. I will teach you about the true Doctor, and how to share the true medicine through prayer.”

After high school, my dad sent me and my sisters to Port-au-Prince and rented us a house to study management.

I finished studying, and I returned to Cap-Haitien to find work, and I did an internship for 3 months, but then I couldn’t find a job.  My dad told me to go back to Port-au-Prince to get a license in management, thinking I could find a job if I did, so I studied management again at a higher level, and it was while I was there studying that the Great Earthquake came.

I was in a class that day, but my stomach was all messed up that day, and I was in pain.  I finally couldn’t sit in class any longer, so I got permission to leave class, and went back to my dorm to change clothes and lie down.  Right as I walked in to my dorm, I put my bag down, and the trembling started.  My wall fell in on my foot, but the dorm stood, and my foot was just scraped, and I was ok.

Later that evening, I realized that my professor, and my whole class in the classroom where I had just been in, where I was still supposed to be,  all died.  Our classroom was on the bottom floor of the building, and none of them escaped.  None of them.

I came back to Cap-Haitien until things changed, and several months later when the school started up again, my dad said I was going back.  I was afraid, but my dad is VERY hard, and when he tells you you are doing something, you do it.   So I went back, I got to third year, and I felt like I no longer had any passion at all for school, for the education, for management, for any of it.  I didn’t want to be there, I didn’t feel motivated.

I found myself wanting more and more to visit the sick and to pray with them, to give them the True Medicine.  The earthquake changed everything, and I felt an urgency to be sharing the Gospel, not trying to get a license in administration.  This, prayer, is what I was excited about, this is what I wanted to do.

My church, they asked me to preach one Sunday, even though I am a woman, and I did, and after that, they always asked me to keep coming and praying and sharing the Gospel.   I always had people telling me that I should study theology.  But I knew that many people believe women couldn’t be pastors, so I didn’t think that made sense.   But they kept on asking me to preach, so finally they said, “Look, if you’re going to preach and we want you to, then you need to get some training.”

I prayed and prayed and asked God if I was to study theology and meanwhile my husband lost his job, and he found a job in Cap-Haitian.  I didn’t want to return, because I was still praying about studying theology at a Bible school in Port-au-Prince.

But then I had another vision, and through it, I felt very clearly that God was affirming me studying His Word, but to trust Him and follow my husband back to Cap-Haitien.

So, my husband and I returned to Cap-Haitian, and the only school I knew about was the Bible School in Limbay, but I don’t like to do things without praying first. 

So I was praying and praying, and one night in a dream, a person said, “It’s Emmaus I have for you.”  But I had no idea what "Emmaus" meant.  I’d never even HEARD about Emmaus, except for in the Bible.  But in the vision, I kept seeing a woman from my church on Rue 12 that was in leadership, a woman called Sister Rose D’Haiti.   I'd never talked to her, but I'd seen her in church, and now I kept seeing her in this vision.

So when I finally figured out where Emmaus was by asking around, I came and sat with Pastor Matt, and he said, “Who sent you here to the Seminary?” and beyond God and that vision, I didn’t have ANYONE, so I finally said, “Well, I guess God sent me in a vision, because the only other person I keep seeing in my vision is a woman in my church who is a Godly and Spirit-filled woman, so if you need a name, I guess it’s Sister Rose D’Haiti!”

Pastor Matt started to laugh, and said, “Rose D’Haiti?  Why, Rose D’Haiti is in second year right now!”

I didn’t even know she was IN school, and I definitely didn’t know she was at Emmaus.  He took me to class and showed me Rose.  It was the SAME woman from my vision, sitting there in class, at Emmaus!!


So I KNEW it was God who sent me.  I had a new comprehension and faith that what I felt led to do was led by God.

When I started in the Seminary, I was working in a church in Vaudreil, but I felt called to start working in one of the Seminary’s church plants, and now it is in Fev I work and worship. 

Pray that God’s will be done with my life.  Pray that I might have ALL the courage I need to embrace God’s will in my life.  Thank you!”



No comments:

Post a Comment