Pages

20 April 2024

returns

Taking on this shift-roll as pastor's wife has brought me back many times to the age-old wisdom of practicing unoffendability. 

It's not just in full-time ministry. 

In LIFE, we will never thrive nor glorify Him relying on, working out of and following our emotions. Our feelings are STRONG, but often wrong...they are God-given, but also not to over-ride His authority in our lives. They are easily swayed, they often distract us from His truth, and they often cause us to react out of fear, sadness, anger, rejection, shame, hurt and pride. That's a far list from the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and self-control He instructs us to react out of!

The kingdom of God....there is too much at stake to be thrown about by every wave of our emotions! There is too much at stake to be defending ourselves, standing for ourselves, fighting for ourselves. The cause of the true Gospel is too precious for "ourselves" to be any kind of focus! 

This newest ministry calling has been giving me more opportunities than ever to look to Him for my truths, for my stabilities. I want to speak out of HIM. I want to react out of Him alone. 

What a gift we have in the life of Jesus, fully human, who experienced ALL the emotions we do, but kept His mind so set on His Father that His words and actions were life and love, glorifying the Father again and again. 

As I'm experiencing opportunities for feelings to take the lead, He is reminding me of who I am in Him (which helps with being unoffendable more than anything I know) and that my job is to return to God what is His.

His people? Those are His. I can return to God what is His instead of spending my days trying to please them or be praised by them or be wrecked by criticism or worry over them.  

His work? That's His! I can return each task to Him for His glory instead of aiming at success or a certain outcome or praise.  

His children? I can return these seven to Him, daily, instead of being overcome by worry over them or controlled by their constantly wavering emotions. I can return them to Him, again and again, when I worry about keeping them, caring for them, protecting them.  

My marriage?  Return to God what is His.  Our money? Return to God what is His. My time, my energy, my efforts? Return to God what is His! Dear ones who are far from Him? Expectations? Friendships? Our Haiti home, so dear and heart-wrenching? 

Being unoffendable, living in freedom from being controlled by our emotions, rooting myself in stability and perseverance for His glory?  NONE of that depends on others, on our circumstances, nor even upon ourselves. It all depends on Him.

I am a beggar and always was! I'm laying at His feet any fruit of my faithfulness, praying that these small offerings may resound His praise. 

So swaddle me in your grace, O Spirit. I return to you your gifts. 

Cradle me in your mercies, O Christ. I return to you your glory.

Hide me in your love, O Father. I return to you, your child.

McKelvey

Some of you have been praying for us for 40 years...for 20....for 10....for 2. I hold that richness daily! I've got room to grow...keep on growing with me!





1 comment: