Pages

07 July 2019

how I fight my battles

Well, He's done it again. Met me all the places I knew I needed met but didn't see how He would. Met me all the places I didn't know I needed met, but I sure did.

After a fabulous last day yesterday with the Bucker's, lots of packing and laundry and organizing the car, dinner with my sister and precious Mayah, and one more late night of sitting and talking with Aunt Lori and Uncle Terry, we woke up at 5:30 this morning, got everyone ready and packed in the car and headed for Seeds of Greatness.

I'm telling you, without fail the Lord always meets us there. Pastor Jerome and leading lady Lisa are such inspiring, encouraging ministry partners for us, full of the fruit of the Holy Spirit, and the church is just vibrant and flowing.  From verses in songs to prayers to even the announcement time, the Lord was calming my troubled, sad spirit, filling in the rough places with Himself.  As someone this morning said, "There might still be some things you want, but He is giving you what you need."

Even things Matt said as he preached on service just resonated my weary soul, and even when I shared a short story, the Lord was helping me see it differently than I ever have.

I felt Him filling in all the places, just what I needed.

As if that weren't enough, totally unexpectedly at the end, He also restored joy in me for the days ahead.

When Matt and I had finished sharing, Pastor Jerome prayed for us and church members surrounded us and prayed, and as he concluded the prayer, out of the blue, Jerome just started singing.

Arms outstretched, he sang over all the pray-ers, This is how I fight my battles, this is how I fight my battles.

I don't know if you've heard the song, Surrounded, by Michael W. Smith, but I first heard it this January, and in February and March when things in Haiti were particularly hard, there were days I'd put the song on repeat and find my courage in its reminder.  One day, I noticed Lily was singing along, and we talked for a bit about how when we are tempted to be anxious about everything around us, we have to remember that HE is actually what surrounds us.  Lily really struggles with anxiety, and it became our song this year.

As soon as he started singing, something within me snapped.

All these battles within me? I will fight them with worship and prayer, and we are not alone.  Isaiah 61 tells us that for the spirit of heaviness, put on the garment of praise.

It may look like I'm surrounded, but I'm surrounded by you, Pastor Jerome continued to sing out.

Unexpected tears were uncontrollably pouring down my face...I might feel like I'm surrounded by hard things, Haiti might be, too, but I'm surrounded by Him, and He is enough.

As He met me, I looked down at my children, and was surprised to see tears pouring down Lily's face at my side.  There are many things to be anxious about, dear girl, but God was reminding her, too, powerfully--and not through me--that she is surrounded by Him.

We are hemmed in, family.  He knows the hard, sad things, both here and there and in your life and mine, but it's not the hard things that surround us.  It's Him.

It's only scary and lonely when we forget that.

I'm so thankful for all His reminders, today, for the firming of truth in my heart and in my family, for the chance to share the Gospel and little pieces of our story, for His glory.

He's got it surrounded.  He's got our family and friends surrounded, He's got our countries surrounded, our children.

Praise the Lord.









No comments:

Post a Comment