Pages

15 September 2017

invisible


A few weeks ago, the senior pastor of the church where we were worshipping introduced Matt like this: "I teach a course every year at Emmaus Biblical Seminary, and the spirit there is unlike anywhere else I go. I don't quite know how to describe it, but I do know that when I am there, you're never quite sure who, exactly, is in charge, because everyone seems to just be working together in humility. You would never guess that Pastor Matt is the President."
We all joked afterwards that we weren't so sure if it was Matt's humility, or the fact that Matt is a HUGE goof-ball, that made it hard to know who was the adult in charge.
I hadn't thought of it again until we were taking our evening family walk the other day, and I came around the bend to see Matt and Edlin standing like this. Edlin is a good friend who has faithfully been making juice and carrying heavy loads for the kitchen at Emmaus for some 20 years now. "Thank you for always being so patient with me," I overheard Edlin say to Matt as I snapped the picture, bringing me to tears.
You wouldn't know who was in charge, I hope, because God is. You wouldn't know who's the boss because we're all serving. You can't quite put your finger on it, because it's not of flesh and blood. We want be so invisible, we pray it everyday. What a call we all have to be invisible in our corners of His world, that He might be known and seen, so clear.
I'm forever thankful for the thousand gifts and burdens, abilities and shortcomings, experiences and brokennesses, strengths and weaknesses that make up Emmaus in Haiti, that make up God's family in the world, that He somehow chooses to USE, and for the ONE we are all so dependent on for every single speck of good and hope and glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment