Pages

21 November 2012

Cross-Cultural Evangelism

For a while now, I've been working up the courage and the insight to share a bit on Matt's and my take on evangelism and short-term missions...and not just short-term missions, but in any context where there is a great limitation on understanding of language, culture and possibly, on doing evangelism where there is no relationship base.  

I am THRILLED that Dr. Phil Thorton (who is coming on Saturday for a week to work at Emmaus and who was my foreign missions professor at Asbury) beat me to it.  

He is way better equipped, w-a-y smarter :), and much more experienced and gifted to write on such a difficult but important topic!

He asks these key questions:
     1)  Can we do evangelism without knowledge of the language?
     2)  Can we do evangelism without understanding the culture?
     3)  Can we do evangelism without relationship?
     4)  Can we do evangelism from a position of power?
     5)  Can we do evangelism for the wrong reasons?
     6)  Can we do evangelism without words?


If you start to feel prickled, stick it out....open heart, open mind (I should make everyone sign something along those lines before you can subscribe to our blog :) 

Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions, he'll be here this weekend, so I'll get you an answer!




No comments:

Post a Comment