Pages

18 February 2023

morning of a funeral

 O God, I cannot see
how I will make it though this day.

The hours stretch before me
like a parched desert I must pass without water.

How I thirst for some relief from this grief,
and from the markers
and the rituals of grief
that must be endured this day.

Christ, be merciful to me.

I have already stumbled through 
these most recent hours, numb,
shocked, disbelieving,
moving as if in a dream,
as if half my mind
were running on autopilot
while the other half
had simply shut down.

Christ, uphold my broken heart.

I cannot face this alone, my king. I cannot.
I do not have the strength 
to shoulder the weight of my own shock,
and grief, and loss.

So carry me.

At the end of this day
let me look back and see
how your grace sustained me
through what I could not 
have endured on my won.
Prove your faithfulness to me
again and again in these hours.

O Spirit of God,
impart every strength I need. 

If ever there were a day
when I longed to feel you near--
to encounter the deep mystery
of your unwavering love
and your sheltering presence in some
inexplicable, tangible way, O Christ,
my Christ, it is today.




No comments:

Post a Comment