Pages

28 February 2021

the moment

don't know when I stopped 
stooping, watching, wondering
and started to feel head to head,
eye to eye, heart beside

can't say when my last
guard was gone, or when,
like toes buried deep in sand
peace began, took root

must be some certain day
I stopped turning the puzzle piece round and 
round and finally slid it into place with 
a satisfying click

when washing dishes at that sink, 
the flamboyant tree always brilliant,
squeals underneath and calls from within--
became my sink, my tree instead of the

can't pinpoint when singing stopped
being a struggle of translation, scribbles of 
pronunciation, stopped being a lesson and 
started being worship

don't remember when people in my home
no longer felt a fishbowl...started feeling family
kiss on the cheek, cheek, weathered hands
weathered seasons

can't tell when crickets and dogs and 
drums and flashlights became 
lullabies and stars, easier still than quiet 
to rest

who knows when the sights and sounds
so strange, confusing, sad 
became common, lovely,
painful, Haiti

which day was it I was woven
into fabric outside my realm
'till I was home: knitted
not just the place I'm knotted

when will I stop waiting for 
knock-knock, always said and never done
stop listening for the peaceful
tones of my sisters, daily fortifying grace

don't know how long it took
or when it happened, exactly

long

just know I'm not there still
just know I'm still not there



No comments:

Post a Comment