Pages

30 November 2018

count them one by one

Today beautifully wraps of a full week of classes, praise the Lord.  With renewed manifestations/riots rumored for December 5th, we're all thankful for this peaceful lull, and I'm thankful to be traveling this weekend before things potentially pick up again. Praying rumors and fear are squelched and that there will be no more violence.  Keep on with us, please.

Preparing for finals week next week, my class (and lots of others) have been doing presentations, final projects and research paper, and I love hearing my class go through some of what they've learned!
And it is with great joy that the world welcomed little Timothy last night, our dear friend and Academic Dean's new son.  He was born safely at the hospital where Ben was supposed to be born.  So thankful for him and for Fanfan's beautiful family!

Meanwhile, we had such a fun time last night celebrating Leme's life...34 year old, and we're blessed with his friendship, and with the friendship of his beloved wife Guesica.  Elisa bringing the fake mustache's a few weeks ago have just been a really big hit :)  I haven't laughed like we did last night for a long time.  Thankful for friends in our lives, who know and care and share their lives with us. 
We introduced lemon meringue pie in place of birthday cake last night with mixed reviews :)  Everyone decided they liked the "snow on top" best!  But it is not chocolate. 
Emily, Rob and Lori finally returned to Haiti yesterday, and I'm so thankful that Emily brought in some winter clothes for Benny-boy.  He's about to have a serious awakening, for a child who only wears pants and socks on Sundays and who has NEVER experienced anything you could call "cold".

Our little Haitian-American is finally going to America.  

SO.  Instead of what I'm praying for, let me think through my praises.

I'm praising the Lord for Nikki, helping Matt with the girls and continuing homeschool (especially in such a unreliable hour for education outside the home) and also covering final exams for both my classes!

I'm praising the Lord for our neighbors who will be making dinner for them and checking in on them and I'm thankful for Julie--who insisted on it, and has been a constant source of daily friendship and support, releasing me from so much guilt and emotionally-clouded thinking with her honest and godly support.

I'm thankful for Granny who will be making lunches and checking in continually, and helping with Sofie (she and Sof are special friends...anytime life feels like too much for Sofie, we find her with Granny, sorting beans or sweeping the kitchen or pouring out her little heart...I'm thankful to know Sofie will have Gran while mom is gone!)

I'm thankful for Linda, Jane and Sharon who sent in some quick breakfast foods and premade snacks weeks ago, not knowing what a gift they'd be now. 

I'm thankful for the many students and staff who have come alongside us and prayed with me, are praying for us, are praying for my sister and her family.  I'm thankful for the many people here who have asked, and listened, and then dropped everything to pray with me, tears in their eyes...how fortifying are cares and the prayers of His people!

I'm praising the Lord for the many friends around the world and here in Haiti who have given or sent money to order pizza, to buy groceries, to buy a gift card, to help with all the mounting bills, as I head to my sister's.  I mean, how humbling and practical and praiseworthy. 

I praise the Lord for the group of women who are checking in with me daily on Lisa and Mayah, thankful for my sister's best friend Robyn, who has spent this week with them helping in a million ways and helped keep me in the loop.

I'm thankful for friends and family in our lives who step up when we need them.  I'm thankful for my sister and for Adam and for their children...gifts in our lives, every one, and precious.

I'm thankful for the many people making it possible for me to go and be where I need to be when I need to be there without concern for my kids or for Matt or for my job or for finances.  

I'm thankful for the temporary lull in political chaos that allows for planes to come and go this weekend so that WE can come and go.  

That list was longer than I even realized...how freeing in the midst of dark and heavy times to count our many blessings.  Must be one of the reasons why the Bible asks us to give thanks in all circumstances so many times.

Please continue to pray.  I'm so thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment