Pages

11 May 2013

all things new

Everyone did it.  Another year.  Unbelievable.  

When I finished giving my final exam for English 2 yesterday, I found 19 guys standing outside of my office. 

"Can we come in?" Simeon asked.

"Uh? All of you?  SURE!" I said, laughing.

So they did, and then shut the door.  I have a VERY tiny office.  But as you know, the whole personal space thing doesn't really mean anything here.

What DOES mean something here is formality.

So, with the whole group staring at me, Simeon and Berthil launched into this end of the year speech, highlighting some of the things God did this year, some of all of their favorite courses, the way God has kept all of us safe.

Then, they started into the very formal thank you portion, with lots of French mixed in and everyone continuing to just stare at me appreciatively.  

"We see you come and go every day, and you help us with our bills and with our English and ask how we are and listen to us and pray with us, and what we see and appreciate the most is that what we always see, no matter what, is your whole heart.  Everything, with your whole heart.  We thank you."

Now I'm starting to choke up.

"And, we went to everyone's offices today to thank each person, and they each gave us a gift.  Do you have a gift for us?"

Bahahaha.  That helped :)

So, laden with my business cards and EBS's promotional 2012-2013 photo cards, everyone filed out, thanking me and shaking my hand as they left.  

What they don't understand is how easy the men and women of Emmaus have made it to give my whole heart to the Lord in them.  The maturity, the joy, the wisdom, and the great and sincere love of our Father I have seen in everyone this past year make me excited to give my whole heart.

And on this last day, instead of feeling utterly exhausted, spent, weary and empty, I feel nothing but incredibly full.  My heart, as they noted, is brimming.

Our God, that is how He works.  Even how His Word notes that it works.  It is by pouring out completely unto Him that He is able to fill us up.

We have spent so much time, so much energy, so much money, so much this year unto Him, and here we are, just thankful.  Poorer and richer.  Older and more passionate.  Tired and refreshed.    

He makes all things new.

What a great year, and a big week of reflection, celebrating and more formality ahead!

Matt and Mark and the kids are taking Sarah and I to the beach today for Mother's Day and to celebrate the end of another beautiful school year!  Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment