Pages

22 February 2013

lent, vessels and the very rare book

If you've been around for a while, you know about the only thing I make time to read is the Bible and the occasional Oswald Chambers and a billion toddler books largely about bears, how exciting it is to use the potty, and sharing.

But I'm married to a man who is always in at least 10 books, most of them humongous and pictureless, ranging from (today's bed-side table) Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia, Answering Islam, and Lectures in Old Testament Theology.  

Hmmm.  

Then Sarah moved in next door, and she's as big of a book dork as Matt is....The Secret Keeper, Wolf Hall, The Big Truck that Went by: How the World came to save Haiti and Left Behind a Disaster...and at least 6 more.  All of which she is excited to tears about, such is her passion for good books.

So when she talked to me about reading a book together for Lent (which reminded me that it WAS the season of Lent...my heavens, time...), I knew if I said yes, I'd actually have to read something besides blogs and the occasional article, because, as you also know if you've been around for a while, I'm a people pleaser.  

AND as you absolutely know if you've been around for a while, I don't know how to say no.  

So I said yes.  

And she picked Seven. 

And I've followed Jen Hatmaker's blog for a while now, so I'd heard of it...a book of  Jen's "experimental mutiny against excess" in which she spends "seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed, materialism, and overindulgence. In the spirit of a fast, they pursued a deeply reduced life in order to find a greatly increased God." 

But frankly, when I first read about Seven, I thought, "I'm PRETTY sure Haiti has worked that excess out of me.  Overindulgence?  I don't even have that option. Book I don't need to read: check."

But again.  

Can't say no.  

So, Matt showed me how to do the Kindle thing (ok, Matt just did the Kindle thing for me...really, there's no point in showing me), and then after Sarah asked me three times if I'd started, I started. 

And of course, now I can't put the thing down.  

As Jen and her family work through excess in food, clothes, possessions, media, waste, spending and stress, I've been captivated not only by her humor and the epiphany moments God's brought her to, but most by this idea:  Jesus, may there be less of me and my junk and more of You and Your kingdom.  

It's true, Jen's commitment for a full month of eating only seven foods might seem a lot less crazy to me than it does to you...since most days it feels like all we've eaten for 6 years (minus Labadee Day!) are rice, beans, corn mush, chunks of cow and chicken legs.  And thanks to a few dear friends, this month we can add conversation hearts to our seven.

And maybe wearing only seven articles of clothing for a full month is easier to imagine when there is no Target, no magazines, no TV commercials, and everyone we knows wears rotations of the same three outfits.  

But that doesn't mean there's no room in my life to make more room for Him.

What I love, and what I am "lenting" through this this season is the taking a step back, and yes, looking in my fridge, in my wallet, in my closet, in my rare clutches at "free time", but most, looking at my vessel.  Looking, intentionally, at my heart and life.  

As Jen says, "When the jars of clay remember they are jars of clay, the treasure within gets all the glory, which somehow seems more fitting.  Maybe our occupation with clothes and food and entertainment detracts from the point: a fixation on Jesus."

How's that going to unpack in MY life?  I'm not totally sure yet...I'm only on page 63.  But this lent, I'm remembering that I'm His vessel, made to be bent on and representing only ONE thing...Him. 

Wanna be more deliberate on being all His?  On reducing your life in search of an increased God?  Reading/studying something else this season?  Fill me in...




2 comments:

  1. Doing no social media again this Lent has been, once again, good for my heart. I am allowing Sundays and the occasional actual FB message part if absolutely necessary...but I have not missed it. I find the part I miss are keeping up with actual friends (such as you of course) but overall, the extra comments about people I don't really know, just not necessary. I imagine afterward I may cut down the excess "friends" on such things so my heart is not stirred up with discontentment for no reason. Been trying to be intentional about when i go to my phone to look on social media, that I look at an app that has scripture on it instead to memorize and think on him. These seasons are good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning on not yelling for Lent but that's been thrown out the window a few times over....however, I'm reading Lysa TerKeurst's new devotional (based on the book of the same name) "Unglued." Whoa - me to a T. Unglued. Very good devotional/book (I also listened to a Focus on the Family piece with her talking about it) if you struggle with emotions (stuffing or exploding).

    I just also got through reading (I was an English major - I LOVE books, I find myself often in numerous numerous books...maybe not 10 but close) "Organized Simplicity" by Tsh something or another. Wonderful. Along the same lines as "Seven" (which is on my to-read list) of downsizing. She doesn't go into the spiritual AS much but there is that essence that our stuff takes over for what is really important in our lives. I've cleaned out most of our closets & cabinets, planned a garage sale.

    You've made me more excited about reading "Seven" except for the 7 things to eat. My kids are having a hard time with leftovers lately so I can't imagine 7 items to eat. LOL I like/dislike the idea of 7 clothing items for a month....intriguing. Sorry - long comment.

    ReplyDelete