Pages

10 January 2011

Happy New Year, a few days late

I haven't said a word yet about the New Year, and for the first time ever, it so entirely snuck up on me that I am just now finding myself thinking about it.  Thankfully, everyone here is still saying the traditional New Year's "Bon Ane", so it's kept the new year on my mind.

Before I even had a chance to pray about what changes He might have for our relationship this year, or what He might be trying to work on, or what He might be calling me to, I received a birthday present from two dear friends in Georgia.  It took several weeks to get here, and by the time it did, we were gone, so I just opened it yesterday, read it, and thought: YEAH.  That's what I want this year.


A Franciscan Benediction


May God bless you with discomfort
at easy answers, half-truths
and superficial relationships
So that you may live deep 
within your heart.


May God bless you with anger
at injustice, oppression and 
exploitation of people
So that you may work for 
justice, freedom and true peace.


May God bless you with tears
to shed for those who suffer
pain, rejection, hunger and war,
So that you may reach out your hand to comfort them
and to turn their pain into joy.


And may God bless you with enough foolishness
to believe that you can make 
a difference in the world
So that you can do what others claim cannot be done
to bring justice and kindness to all our children and to the poor.


My prayer for 2011 is that God will do these things for us, not so that WE can live or work or reach or bring...but so that HE can bring justice, comfort, turn pain into joy, bring peace and DO what others claim cannot be done ALL the more through us...through Emmaus, through our relationships here and there, through this blog, and through YOU!  So, a few days late, Happy New Year!  Excited about what He can do this year...

2 comments:

  1. Ke mwen ak ou

    May God accomplish all this and more for the People of Haiti this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound! Sounds like a great God thing waiting to happen

    ReplyDelete