Pages

04 July 2023

rise to Him

Today my dad's been gone 5 months, which I guess is why we are all missing him so much....we've never gone so long without seeing him before, not even all those years in Haiti! We lived in Haiti 13 years, and Dad came 14 times. Adventure was not Dad's favorite, but he always came because we were there, sacrificially gave $10,000 a year to Emmaus, came back every time supporting another missionary, worked like crazy on every trip and the last many, Grandpa'd like crazy. He knew our friends and our family and our people and loved to love them, and I miss that. Ach, I had a good dad.

We celebrated the 4th with all the neighbors around us, a parade with 66 kiddos and hot dogs and watermelon with a water slide. The 4th always reminds me that summer is half over, and I already find myself clinging to longer, more flexible days, and vowing to incorporate more of summer into our school year.  The books have all come and are ready to be sorted, and this year Lily will be joining our two bonus girls at a small Christian school 2 minutes from Wesley, Matt's work. 

I have loved and cherished every minute of homeschooling Lily girl...almost every :)! But I always figured come high school (YES, she is somehow entering ninth grade!) we would let the kiddos choose if they wanted to continue homeschooling or join a Christian school, and our social-lite Lily-girl didn't have to think twice. Without the option to homeschool our bonus girlies, we are moving them a lot closer to home, and Lily is joining them.  

Schooling and homeschooling at the same time tends to take away from the benefits of each, but we are where we are, and I'm determined to have all seven the very best place it seems like they can be in this season to learn about Jesus and grow in their faith and callings. 

Meanwhile, I've ordered the books and getting ready to shift homeschool a bit younger this year, with Sofie in 7th, Nora in 3rd, and Ben starting Kindergarten, Emma, teacher's helper.

That would be a miracle, considering Emma is the least helpful kiddo in the family. She is ALL toddler, waddling everywhere, climbing everything, falling continually, digging in my plants, breaking anything in a cabinet, trying to eat the cat's food, running for any open door and loudly protesting when her way isn't met. She's a blessed bundle with six siblings to mimic, but she sure does try to keep up!

After camp, everyone was d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g, and mama finally got a clue and initiated "rest hour" after lunch...do what you want, but quietly, and in your own rooms!  Day one was such a surprisingly big hit that we've been doing it every day, and everyone's reading, napping, drawing, crafting, and for the first time in YEARS mama is getting to sit for 45 of the 60 minutes and read and write.  

Why.Haven't.I.been.doing.this.ALWAYS.??

I will blame sleep deprivation? But I am ENJOYING it and we're all starting our afternoons stronger!  

We are heading into birthday week with A and Ben both having birthdays in the next few days, so I'm working on all the random ways they'll feel loved, thankful to have Matt home the next few weeks, and bent on enjoying these days, meditating on His Word and talking, listening, breathing continual prayers. 

When I cannot rise to Him
He draws near on wings of grace
to raise me to Himself. Praise the Lord. 




2 comments: